Credit Union Protection
- Business Auto
- Collateral Protection Auto
- Collateral Protection Real Estate
- Fidelity Bond
- Management and Professional Liability
- Plastic Card
- Property and Business Liability
- Workers Compensation
Executive Benefits & Funding Solutions
TruStage Final Arrangements & Preplanning Solutions
TruStage Insurance Program
Insights & Trends
How to Design and Implement a Cash Balance Plan
The Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA 2006) reopened the door for a type of defined benefit plan called a cash balance plan.
A cash balance plan is a defined benefit plan which contains a defined contribution-like accrual for some or all of the participants in the plan. Participants covered by the cash balance feature of the plan earn pay credits and interest credits which accumulate in a “hypothetical” cash balance account. When the participant leaves employment, they are entitled to the accumulation of their cash balance account, or any number of equivalent annuity options. To the participant, it looks and feels like a defined contribution plan.
The Act clarifies that cash balance accruals in a defined benefit plan are not age discriminatory. Successful litigation against cash balance plan sponsors and hesitation on the part of the IRS to endorse cash balance plan features in defined benefit plan documents scared many plan sponsors away from adopting cash balance provisions until now. Since the Act was passed, higher courts have overturned many of the prior decisions made against cash balance plan sponsors and the IRS has begun to review cash balance provisions and provide determination letters.
Learn more about cash balance plans, and how to design your own.
Evaluating Costs and Benefits of Your Defined Benefit Plan
Building a Staff for Today's Convenience
- Skip to Main Content
- Building a Staff for Today's Convenience Economy
- Deliver a Convenient Employee Experience
- Evaluating Costs and Benefits of your Defined Benefit Plan
- How to Design and Implement a Cash Balance Plan
- Navigating Risks in the Lending Landscape
- Next-Generation Cyber Attacks Call For Next-Generation Solutions
- Risks As You Grow: Critical Considerations for the C-Suite
- Spam Shams and Other Scams
Pension plan sponsors face intensifying challenges. With CUNA Mutual Retirement Solutions, you get all the resources you need to manage these challenges.