Credit Union and Economic Reports
The Credit Union Trends Report and Economic Report provide a review and analysis of recent credit union financial performance and operational results in the context of recent economic activity. Data and analysis are provided to establish standards against which credit unions' own performance can be compared.
Credit Union Trends Report
The Credit Union Trends Report is a monthly "pulse check" on the state of the credit union marketplace, often placed in a historical context. The report includes data from two months prior and is published and distributed by Steven Rick from CUNA Mutual Group. (Opens in a new window)
December 2020 (October 2020 data)
- Credit union loan balances were unchanged in October, below the 0.6% increase reported in October 2019.
- Fixed-rate first mortgage loan balances grew a strong 14.8% over the last year but declined slightly in October by 0.3%.
- As of October 2020, CUNA estimates 5,336 credit unions were in operation, down 167 from October 2019.
The Economic & Credit Union Update is a monthly report on the economic factors that impact credit unions’ operations and financial performance.
- The economy is expected to grow 2.5% in 2021, above the 2.5% decline expected for 2020.
- Job growth may turn negative in January as the pandemic winter wave shuts down many sectors of the economy.
- Our latest economic forecasts have the economy expanding at a 4% annualized pace in the fourth quarter.
- The unemployment rate is expected to end 2021 at 6.25%.
- Credit union loan growth is expected to reach 6.0% in 2021.
- Credit union deposit growth is expected to reach 8% in 2021.
- Skip to Main Content
- Beyond IT
- Credit Union Trends Report
- Cyber Security: Millions of Dollars On the Line
- Economic Commentary: 2018 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- Economic Commentary: Indicators Investors Should Monitor To Understand Market Direction
- Economic Commentary: The US Equity Market Outlook and Valuations
- Help Your Credit Union Stand Out from the Competition
- How Risk Aversion Impacts Wealth Management
- Inflation Guard
- IRS Limits Adjustments for 2018
- Is There a Cost to Convenience
- Lessons Learned for Charitable Giving
- Medicare and Social Security
- Member Perceptions Are Reality
- NCUA amends regulations on fidelity bonds
- Ransomware Attacks Continue as Predominant Cyber Issue
- Reducing Third-Party Cybersecurity Risk
- Retain Your Top Talent
- SERP Checklist
- The Changing Retirement Landscape
- The History of the Dow Why Risk Control Matters More Than Ever
- Ties That Bind SERP
- Whats In Store for Investors in 2018 and Beyond
- Where Does Financial Advice Fit in the Age of Information
The Convenience Economy: How Members Are Driving Innovation and Changing Your World eBook