Credit Union and Economic Reports
The Credit Union Trends Report and Economic Report provide a review and analysis of recent credit union financial performance and operational results in the context of recent economic activity. Data and analysis are provided to establish standards against which credit unions' own performance can be compared.
Credit Union Trends Report
The Credit Union Trends Report is a monthly "pulse check" on the state of the credit union marketplace, often placed in a historical context. The report includes data from two months prior and is published and distributed by Steven Rick from CUNA Mutual Group. (Opens in a new window)
September 2021 (July data)
- The number of credit unions fell by 99 during the first seven months of 2021, which is more than the 80 reported in the first seven months of 2020.
- The credit union return-on-asset ratio rose to 1.11% in the first six months of 2021 at an annualized basis, up from 0.57% in the first six months of 2020.
- Credit unions originated a record $157 billion first mortgage loans in the first half of 2021, a 21% increase above the $130 billion in originations in the first half of 2020.
The Economic & Credit Union Update is a monthly report on the economic factors that impact credit unions’ operations and financial performance.
- The economy grew 6.6% in the 2nd quarter and is expected to grow 4.5% in 2022.
- Credit union yield on asset ratios are expected to fall to 2.9% in 2021, down from 4.4% before the COVID-19 recession.
- Inflation came in at 5.3% during the last 12 months, the fastest pace since 2008.
- Credit union loan growth is running at a 5% pace this year but is expected to rise to 9% in 2022.
- Skip to Main Content
- Americas Fastest Growing Homebuying Demographic
- Beyond IT
- Credit Union Trends Report
- Cyber Security: Millions of Dollars On the Line
- Help Your Credit Union Stand Out from the Competition
- How the Pandemic has Changed Credit Modeling
- Inflation Guard
- Innovative Lenders Migrating to the Cloud to Achieve Agility and Scale
- Is There a Cost to Convenience
- Lending Empowered
- Lessons Learned for Charitable Giving
- Member Perceptions Are Reality
- Members at the Center
- NCUA amends regulations on fidelity bonds
- Pandemic shines a light on need to help members with investments
- Ransomware Attacks Continue as Predominant Cyber Issue
- Reducing Third-Party Cybersecurity Risk
- Retain Your Top Talent
- SERP Checklist
- The Credit Union Value Proposition is Under Fire
- Ties That Bind SERP
- Whats Impacting Your Auto Lending Business
- What Strategic Choices Are Credit Unions Making to Drive Growth
The Convenience Economy: How Members Are Driving Innovation and Changing Your World eBook